Los Angeles Accessory Dwelling Units
( ADUs ) - New Standards
Starting January 1, 2017, the rules regarding Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) in Los Angeles have changed for the better. But before we get into the details, let's discuss what an ADU is and why it's beneficial.
What is an ADU?
- Also known as a Granny Flat, an Accessory Dwelling Unit is an independent second dwelling unit on a property.
- These units can be attached to an existing house or detached as a separate structure.
- ADUs can be constructed on any lot zoned for residential use.
ADU's are a huge opportunity for individual home owners to provide new housing units for Los Angeles in their own backyard. Homes that can serve as:
- A nearby, yet private residence for an elderly relative
- A home for a young adult working towards affording their own place
- Additional income though long or short term rentals
Learn more about ADU Rules and Regulations in Los Angeles